Friday 24 June 2011

M&D - 'Close Ur Mouth' (English Only)

Okay, so today we have some more SM News (actually this has been going around on the Facebook for a few days now, but I thought I’d wait until they released some more information until I wrote anything about it).

Anyway, so it was released on the 21st June that SMTOWN were going to release a new ‘project group’ called ‘M&D’, which is basically Super Junior’s Kim Heechul writing and singing the lyrics, and TRAX’s Jungmo Kim composing and arranging the music, along with playing the guitar, bass and electric drum.


Now I don’t know anything about TRAX unfortunately, but according to Wikipedia they’re another of SM Entertainment’s creations – a four piece rock band, where the name,  unfortunately comes from the initials of each members ‘name’ (by the looks of things, SM Ent. Once again got carried away with giving the band members ridiculous names. I mean, I love this agency, but c’mon – Typhoon, Rose, Attack and Xmas, surely that’s crossing a line). So yeah, Jungmo Kim (or ‘Xmas’) is apparently some kind of ‘guitar genius’, so it sounds pretty promising so far.


Reading on in the article, it says that the two are going for something pretty different from the styles of both TRAX and Super Junior, in fact, they’re going for something fresh and unique altogether.  So although I do love SM Entertainment’s music, I was pretty interested and excited to see how this was going to turn out.

The song that they released is called ‘Close Ur Mouth’ and is apparently about some popular guy who lets his woman go.  Not exactly giving us anything to go off, but needless to say, it got thousands of ‘likes’ on Facebook, so, as usual, SM Ent. definitely know what they’re doing.

ANYWAY, so this is the point that I was up to until yesterday, when I was checking the SMTOWN Facebook page, having not looked at it for a while, and it turned out that M&D had released their new music video for ‘Close Ur Mouth’! So of course, I clicked on that instantly.

So I’ve got to say, I was impressed (as I seem to be with most music videos I write about on this blog), but yeah, it was definitely different from the kind of stuff I’ve learnt to expect from SM Ent. (also, according to the Facebook page, it was directed by Heechul Kim himself)  The actual concept for the video was very refreshing; it was basically Heechul walking around this building being followed by one almost continuous tracking shot, which could easily have been boring, but I think with Heechul’s personality and the intermittent Korean celebrities appearing in the halls it was carried off very well. It seemed they opted for simplicity rather than the brightly lit, fabulously designed productions with big dance routines and slick camera movements that we’ve all grown to know and love.  But you know, it works!

My first thought, being an utter fangirl, was ‘wow, Heechul looks different’.  At first I wasn’t sure if this was a good thing, but I think it’s grown on me now – he’s still very much a flower boy, but he seemed to have this air of cool around him this time, almost Brit Rock esque. 


The poor TRAX guy didn’t get very much of an appearance in the video, but the bits that he was in was again, very different; it was really interesting seeing him playing all his different instruments – he’s a talented guy!

As for the music itself, I found it very likeable from the offset, its catchy enough to get stuck in my head a lot, but not to the point where it’s really cheesy (having said this, I don’t actually know what the lyrics are, but hey). And yeah, it was just really cool and refreshing!

So yeah, M&D are looking pretty promising, time will tell if it stays as something that I’ll really like, but it’s certainly refreshing.  It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere, and if now that SMTOWM is starting to get its European status, it will start branching out into new areas like this.

(Just for the record, I’m fairly new to the Korean music industry world, so if I’m completely wrong about there never being anything along this line, please let me know).

Right, I’m a tad conscious that this post has become VERY long; I guess I had a lot to say on this! And I fear if I translate into Japanese it will be like WORDS OVERLOAD, so I’m going to post this today and do a Japanese version tomorrow. In the meantime, I’ll post the video below, so enjoy~


 (Since writing this post, SMTOWN have released some more articles on M&D and their music video which I haven't had a chance to read yet, but if you want to check them out you can find them on the SMTOWN Facebook page here, or check the page in my linkage)

No comments:

Post a Comment